RECENT RECIPE ADDITIONS:

Beef Bundles

Newspaper

Dough: (you can use any white bread dough recipe...)
1 1/3 C Hot Water
1 1/2 T Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Salt
3/4 T Butter

4 1/2 C Flour
1/4 C Powdered Milk
3/4 T Yeast

Mix together water, sugar, salt and butter.  Add the powdered milk, yeast, and about half of the flour. Mix until smooth. Now change to the dough hook and add the rest of the flour. Mix and then let dough rest for 10 minutes before rolling out.

Filling:
1lb ground beef
2 cups grated cabbage
1 cup chopped onion (becca likes to substitute 1/2 tsp onion powder)
1 cup grated carrot
2 tsp worchestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper
1 T margarine

Brown ground beef (medium heat).

Add vegetables and saute until tender.

Add seasonings and then cool slightly.

You can use any bread recipe that makes 1 loaf. I like to use the one above.  Its more like a loaf and a half. But it seems like the right amount for 16 bundles. Roll dough 1/4 in think into a large square shape. Cut with pizza cutter into 4'' squares. Put 2-4 T of filling in center of each. Fold 4 corners to meet at top center, then pinch the 4 diagonal seams together.

Place on greased cookie sheet, seam side down.

375 degrees 20 minutes

About 16 bundles.

13 comments:

Carrie said...

My friend uses ROLL dough for her cabbage burgers that are really similar! Um, yummy! She usually uses Rhodes frozen Texas rolls. So I think I'll try rolls next time.

Donna said...

Let me know how they turn out and how you like them... sounds yummy to me too... haven't had them in so long!.. putting cabbage on my list :)

Rebecca Brady said...

i think today i'm going to try the wheat bread recipe?? since i already have bread mixes ready to go. do you think i'll regret it...? i was going to do a double batch too... but maybe i should make SO much when i'm experimenting?

Donna said...

I don't see why you shouldn't try the wheat bread... especially the new recipes... the dough is pretty sturdy to work with.

Carrie said...

that sounds awful... and i would probably not do a double batch. did you already??

the roll dough was super yummy! perfect texture and flavor. and it was nice and stretchy and stick for forming the bundles. they were still pretty thick on bread. next time i'm going to either re-roll out the squares after i cut them (you know how they bounce back and get smaller?) to make them bigger and thinner or make individual balls and roll them each out on their own. my friend's were a perfect dough thickness and mine are always ALL bread. or seems like it.

Rebecca Brady said...

yes, i already did! and they actually turned out really good! let me first say that my white bread has always been tough and gross. i really need to add less flour and i'm sure it will be yummy. that being said, the wheat bread was SO soft and yummy in comparison that it didnt' even bother me that it tasted like... well, wheat. haha. plus, mike is a fan of pretending to be healthy. so i might do wheat ever time! we'll see.

roll dough is still too intimidating for me to make, btw. maybe someday i'll try it...

Rebecca Brady said...

Notes for me to remember next time. I finally got the bread recipe to work for me. I don't think I even used 6 whole cups of flour and it was so soft! Yay!

I did a double batch, but still didn't feel like there was enough dough to go around. So next time I might triple the bread recipe? But that will make a lot of bundles...

Also, I threw in some red pepper flakes for some heat.

Donna said...

Whoa! I am impressed and the red pepper flakes! Did you add it to the dough or the meat/veg mix?

Rebecca Brady said...

in the meat mix, silly!

Rebecca Brady said...

Okay so I baked my Christmas ham and cut up the leftovers. I made ham & cheese bundles. They were so so delicious. I originally tried to do like Hot Pocket shape, but it's so much easier to do a bundle, I just stuck with that. I filled them a little fuller than I would a Beef Bundle because the cheese melts and fills in the cracks. I also put in some thawed frozen spinach and Mike didn't even mind! And that made me feel better about not serving them with a veggie. Also, my bundles are done in about 15 minutes.

Donna said...

I couldn't think what to make for dinner!!!! AGHHHH the proverbial problem and especially when it is so hot! I realized I could get the ingredients ready and the dough made while I wait for the A/C to come back on and then it wouldn't take too long to have supper ready after 6, right? I laughed at all our old comments. I think I am going to make the whole wheat bread and try that since I haven't done that yet. I might even do the hot pepper flakes.... LOL in the meat, not the dough HA! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this BLOG, BTW :)

Donna said...

And... Becca, I completely spaced on the comment about using leftover ham and cheese with spinach... YUM!! I will have to try that after Christmas this year.

becca said...

Current notes:
I make this bread recipe TWICE. Each batch makes 16 bundles. And I double the filling recipe to make a total of 32 bundles. I like the buy the angel hair coleslaw (cabbage already shredded for me).

Bake for only 15 minutes! At 375 degrees.

2 C Hot Water
2 1/4 T Sugar
2 1/4 tsp Salt
1 1/8 T Butter

3 C Flour
3/8 C Powdered Milk
1 1/8 T Yeast



2lb ground beef
4 cups grated cabbage
2 cup grated carrot
4 tsp worchestershire sauce
2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp pepper