RECENT RECIPE ADDITIONS:

Homemade Soft Pretzels


2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
vegetable oil, for baking sheets
3 tablespoons baking soda (for water)
1 tablespoon pretzel salt


1. Mix yeast, salt, sugar, warm water in bowl, whisking until sugar dissolves. let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes
2. Mix flour and cayenne, use pastry cutter or fingers, cut butter into flour
3. Slowly pour yeast mixture over flour, stirring to combine. use hands, gather dough, turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead until it is no longer sticky, about 5 minutes. cover with plastic, let rise 30 minutes
4. Cut dough into 12 pieces, roll each into an 18 inch rope. twist into pretzel form. transfer to oiled baking sheet, let rise 20 min.
5. Preheat oven to 475. bring large pot of water to boil and add baking soda. boil pretzels in batches until puffed and slightly shiny (about 1 minute or less per side). transfer to wire rack to drain. return to baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and bake until golden brown (about 15 minutes).



http://amyscott.squarespace.com/journal/2008/10/30/homemade-soft-pretzels.html

6 comments:

Carrie said...

These do not take 15 minutes. I have overcooked them both times I've made them. I'm thinking 12/13 minutes max.

Donna said...

I'm impressed you would try these... were they good?

Donna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie said...

They are SO good! It's a fun alternative when we have leftover nacho sauce but are sick of chips. They're fairly easy! Just need to plan ahead because each step has to sit a while. The kids love them and love to help. :)

Unknown said...

Update:
-I do not mix by hand. Definitely use the mixer.
-I used moms weighing trick: weigh the whole batch of dough, divide by 12 and the just weigh each ball as you go.
-Baked in the air fryer: Bake setting, 440°, 10 min, 6 at a time.
-They seemed a little bland. I want to look at other recipes and see if the dough needs more salt or sugar.
-Double recipe for our family (minimum).

Unknown said...

Comment above from Carrie.
Edited to say: with the pretzel salt and dipped in nacho sauce, they’re not bland! Just the cinnamon sugar ones are. I’m