- 4 cups frozen vegetable mix, peas,carrots
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth (or 1 1/2 cups water + 1 1/2 tsp bouillon)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (leave out! yuck!)
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken (or 1 pint of canned chicken)
- 1 package puff pastry (or homemade pie crust - single crust)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Toss frozen vegetables with canola oil and spread evenly onto a sheet pan. Place into oven and cook until golden brown. (mom says it takes quite a while before they start to look "toasted.")
In a saute pan heat 1 tablespoon of butter and sweat the onion and celery. In another saucepan, heat the broth and milk. Add 2 more tablespoons of butter to the celery mix and cook out the water. Add the flour and curry and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the hot milk mixture and cook until thickened. Add the parsley, salt and pepper. Toss the browned vegetables and the chicken. Pour into a shallow baking pan, or a large terra cotta pot base, lined with foil, and top with 6 to 8 circles of puff pastry. Place into the oven and cook until puff pastry has browned and the mixture is hot and bubbly, about 25 minutes.
4 comments:
I used a 9x13 baking pan and topped with pie crust cut into heart shapes. Next time i will use THIS pan to toast the veggies... save on washing. I also used my canned turkey (dark meat) and think it would be yummy with a cooked, deboned chicken like he suggests. It should be good with canned chicken breast too.d
Rebecca:
Tonight I roughly followed this recipe to make a Chicken Pot Pie (Biscuit). It was much simpler than this recipe, but I really really liked it. So for my record, here's what I did.
Bake 9x13 at 400 degrees for 24 minutes
Make a sauce using:
3 Tbs butter
3 Tbs flour
2 tsp bouillon
1 tsp onion
1 1/2 c water mixed with
1/2 c milk
Add and cook for a little bit:
2 cups frozen peas (1 bag)
Add:
2 Tbs parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups cooked carrots
2 cups canned chicken
Place in 9x13
Make 6 chunks of biscuit dough and put on top of mixture.
Biscuit recipe:
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbs powdered milk
½ cup shortening butter
2/3 cup cold water
I did a double batch for 16 adults at the cabin and there were leftovers. I crammed 17 biscuits on the top of each pan. Next time, I will put 12 biscuits on the top of each so people get more of the chicken mixture and less biscuit. Plus, more leftover biscuits for breakfast the next day.
Additionally, I reduced the vegetables (3 c per batch which was one bag of frozen carrots & peas) and increased the chicken amount to increase protein.
I made the mix ahead of time at home and froze it flat in a gallon bag. It was perfect.
Guess what I did! I had leftover cream of chicken soup (gravy) from the Chinese Sundaes, and threw that in with the cooked veggies! It was SO good! So, for a shortcut, if you don't have time for all the gravy-making part... just use a can or two of soup and a little water to thin it down a bit.
Post a Comment