RECENT RECIPE ADDITIONS:

Caramels



1 c. butter
1 lb. brown sugar (about 2 1/4 c.)
dash of salt
1 c. light corn syrup
1 15 oz. can sweetened condensed milk (or homemade substitute)
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter in 3 qt saucepan. Add sugar & salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir in corn syrup. Mix well. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Cook & stir over medium heat to "firm ball phase" at 235-248* (depending on your altitude - see link below. Takes anywhere from 15-30 minutes.)

Remove from heat & add vanilla. Pour into buttered 9x9 or 9x13 pan. Once cooled, put pan in hot water to loosen and dump out onto cutting board. Cut into desired size pieces. Put pieces in bowl of powdered sugar and shake to keep from sticking together or individually wrap in parchment/wax paper.


*Candy - Sugar Syrup Temperature Chart

(picture credit: http://www.weeklygreens.com/recipes/honey-caramels/)

1 comment:

Rebecca Brady said...

I just made essentially the same thing IN the microwave. Ha! Actually I'm still working on the time. It was a tad too soft still. But in theory I should be able to get it to do the same thing. Woo hoo!