2 cups chicken broth
1 can corn
1 can tomatoes (crushed, whole, or diced and blended if you want)
3 or 4 carrots diced
1 can beans (pinto, kidney or black)
2 Tbsp dried onion (or sauté 1 med onion)
1 pint canned chicken or any leftover grilled or roasted chicken
1 (4oz) can green chilies
seasonings: chili powder, cumin, granulated garlic (or fresh), red pepper flakes or can of El Pato tomato sauce.
If you like cilantro, then add it.
If zucchini is in season, add diced squash or yellow crookneck.
Cook until veggies are tender and serve with tortilla chips, sour cream and cheese.
Carrie's Notes: I made this recipe using leftover turkey. I found this recipe, which gave me a better idea of spice proportions.
Since our recipe uses less broth, chicken, and beans, I cut back the spices they called for. I used:
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 - 1 tsp oregano
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup salsa verde
Then instead of sauteing fresh onion and garlic I sprinkled in dried onion and granulated garlic (I don't know the amounts on these.)
Sidenote: It is really yummy with Tostitos with Lime chips
RECENT RECIPE ADDITIONS:
Tortilla Soup
Labels:
BLACK BEANS,
CANNED CHICKEN,
CARRIE,
CARROTS,
CHICKEN BOUILLON,
CILANTRO,
CORN,
GREEN CHILIS,
MEXICAN,
MOM,
PINTO BEANS,
SOUR CREAM,
TOMATO,
ZUCCHINI
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I made this recipe using leftover turkey. I found this recipe, which gave me a better idea of spice proportions:
http://www.grouprecipes.com/120723/tortilla-soup-in-a-crock-pot.html
Since our recipe uses less broth, chicken, and beans, I cut back the spices they called for. I used:
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 - 1 tsp oregano
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup salsa verde
Then instead of sauteing fresh onion and garlic I sprinkled in dried onion and granulated garlic (I don't know the amounts on these.)
Sidenote: It is really yummy with Tostitos with Lime chips.
I made it tonight with the leftover turkey and it was great! Thanks, Carrie.
annoying that your link doesn't work in your comment. i don't want to copy and paste it. maybe i need to just edit the whole post... and put in your new comments?
Oh I didn't realize the link wouldn't work. Yeah let's edit our recipe to include the amounts of spices and then if we ever want to actually cook chicken for it we can copy and paste that link.
This is one of my favorite "let your hair down" recipes! Relax and just throw stuff in. Tonight I grabbed stuff out of the pantry and this is what I dumped: can of diced tomatoes, corn, el pato, canned elk meat,carrots, pinto beans, green chilies and sprinkled in dried onion, gran garlic, cumin, salt and pepper, chili pwdr. NO measuring... but so fun! Bwa ha ha!
Post a Comment