Make Teriyaki Sauce:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp garlic powder
5 tbs packed brown sugar
1-2 tbs honey (eyeballed it)
2 tbs cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1. Mix all but cornstarch and 1/4 cup water in a sauce pan and begin heating.
2. Mix cornstarch and cold water in a cup and dissolve. Add to sauce in pan.
3. Heat until sauce thickens to desired thickness.
4. Add water to thin if you over-thicken it.
Makes approx. 1 1/2 cups of sauce. (recipe found at www.recipezaar.com/recipe/
Heat one jar of canned Pork on the stove in its broth.
Cook frozen stir-fry veggies or broccoli, etc. (I did 1/2 of a 16 oz bag but added extra broccoli. My bag was a "gourmet" stir-fry mix and had carrots, red peppers, flat green beans, broccoli, water chestnuts, and baby corn. It was super yummy!!)
This combination fed our family plus one serving of leftovers so I would say thats about 4 servings total.
Dave LOVED the sauce. Like, totally. I thought it was a little bland but it grew on me. Bland is good for the kids and it was a really nice change from the sweet and sour sauce. When I pulled my pork out of the jar, I kind of "scraped" it out with a fork which gave it a pulled pork texture rather then shredded like its been in the past. I don't know why that made a difference for me, but it did.
So there you go. I was really pleased, as it was the first teriyaki sauce I've ever made. It might be good with a little vinegar to cut the sweet, but like I said, Dave said not to change it. In the future I will start increasing the amounts so I can have leftovers too. :) Thank you mom for inspiring me. We were really close to having fishsticks for a second day in a row. :)
5 comments:
I LOVED the sauce also. I just made this and everyone loved it, kids also. No leftovers :( It is a nice change of flavor to our weekly meals.
i'm so proud of you for commenting! not to mention coming to the blog :) this is a good recipe.
i wonder if this would be okay with fresh ginger. i know they vary quite a bit. i finally bought fresh ginger for the orange chicken recipe. and they say you can keep it in your freezer for 6 months. and then you just pull it out for your recipes and use your zester to scrape off some. cool, huh? good thing mom gave us a zester! is that what its even called...?
Glad you have a zester too... yes... it is called that or a fine grater... doesn't matter. Glad you are having fun with this. :)
I have a different teriyaki sauce that I like better now and is much less complicated. I will make it it's own post and link it to the crockpot teriyaki recipe.
Post a Comment