Summer Squash Casserole
Courtesy Of: Paula Deen, Head Start
6 yellow or pattypan summer squash
1 cup onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 stick butter
2 slices white bread
1 medium bowl ice water
1 egg
Salt and pepper
1 cup cracker crumbs, or enough to cover casserole
1 cup onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 stick butter
2 slices white bread
1 medium bowl ice water
1 egg
Salt and pepper
1 cup cracker crumbs, or enough to cover casserole
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Peel and cut squash into cubes. Boil until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes, and drain. Brown onion, garlic, and parsley in 2 tablespoons butter seasoned with salt and pepper. Soak bread in ice water and wring out; chop fine. Add to onion and garlic mixture; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add drained squash and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, stirring. Remove from heat. Beat egg and add, allowing it to absorb into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
Place in casserole dish or baking pan. Cover top with cracker crumbs and dot with remaining butter. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the crumbs brown.
Cook's Note: You can refrigerate this dish for up to 2 days before baking, but you should add the bread crumb topping right before you bake.
7 comments:
this was really really yummy! i still haven't figured out what goes WITH it. like, is this the side dish? or the main dish? we figured out something, but i don't remember what. also, i tried to crumble the soggy bread by hand like she did on the show but the pieces were too big in the casserole, so next time i will "finely chop" it, like the recipe says. :)
I definitely would try this.... could you serve it with some grilled chicken... then you have your veggie and your carbs as the casserole... so just a piece of meat or fish with it... even a hamburger patty would make it complete. I usually grill up a piece of chicken and can't think of anything to go with THAT besides a potato which we get tired of.
I made it with zucchini squash, cubes of ham, and Fritos on top... it was super yummy, but the main flavors we tasted were ham and Fritos, so I don't know for sure what the recipe itself really tastes like!
Vikki,
Do you already have zucchini from your garden?? If so, I am super jealous! LOL! That really sounds good to me, the way you made it. I have to remember to make this when my squash finally produce.
Ok, so this time I cooked steak and used the casserole as a side dish. They went really well together. I still made the recipe as is, but would like to try bacon or ham in it too. I finely chopped the bread this time and it was perfect! I made half a batch which was fine, but I wouldn't have minded a few more leftovers so will probably do the full batch next time.
No, I don't have zucchini from my garden yet, and we don't have any planted either :( (one of our garden boxes fell apart so we don't have as much room as last year). I actually bought it at Superstition Ranch Market for $0.10 a pound... pretty cheap!
Sorry about your garden... I have tons of zucchini ready to "explode"... lots of baby ones... so I will send some your way and everyone's way soon... 10 cents/lb is WAY cheap! That is awesome!
Post a Comment