(comments by Vikki's friend)
(Basic recipe makes one big cookie sheet or about 30 to 40 bars)
4 1/2 c rolled oats (3 cups quick, 1 1/2 cups regular)
1 c flour
1 t baking soda
1 t vanilla
2/3 c softened butter
1/2 c honey
1/3 c packed brown sugar
Press into greased cookie sheet (with 1 inch rim - you know the kind) or square bottom cake pan.
Cover with wax paper and use the wax paper box to press it flatter.
Cook in preheated oven 325 for 18-22 min until golden brown (crispiness comes with a bit longer cooking).
After done, allow to cool 8 minutes, then cut carefully with up and down slicing motions (not dragging).
Replace wax paper on top and press down again all over (down worry if your slice lines get pressed out, they're really perforation marks and when it's cooled entirely they'll still break just fine. :)
Allow to cool 1/2 hour (until completely cool) before you take them out of the pan.
(Now keep reading....)
Ok - there's the basics. And that will make a great granola bar, but not my favorite.
So here's the goods. I add:
1/2 c wheat germ
1/4 c sesame seeds
1/4 - 1/2 c rice krispies
1/3 c sliced almonds (crushed to be smaller (rice krispie size))
1/2 cup cranberries
For moistness add butter and honey - 2 T maybe? (Just be sure everything is coated)
OR:
1/2 c rice krispies
2 c mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut
Again, if it looks like parts are still dry, drizzle on a bit more honey and butter
OR: (and this is my favorite)
1/2 c wheat germ
1/4 c sesame seeds
1/2 c rice krispies
1/3 c almonds
1/2 c crushed cashews. mmmm... :) Happiness.
And of course a bit more butter honey to compensate for the dry stuff.
I'm sure you could put just about anything in these, We love to substitute the regular rice krispies with chocolate ones or fruity ones and add them to the basic recipe. :)
The coconut chocolate chip ones feel just like Quaker Oats ones to me. If they are breaky or crumbly, just add more of the sticky butteryness next time. They should hold together pretty well. (Not quite as well as store bought, but about 50 dollars cheaper. ;)
Have fun - it's all about variety. :)
9 comments:
I finally made my first batch today. I wanted to write down my variation so I would remember and I figured here is as good a place as any. I will leave another comment later about how they turned out and if I would do anything different. So the add-ons I used were:
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. rice krispies
1/2 c. coconut (sweetened was all I had)
1/3 c. crushed sliced almonds
1/2-3/4 c. chocolate chips (I just know it was less than a cup but more than 1/4 cup)
I ended up adding 3/4 cup of honey (total) and 3/4 cup total butter too.
um... yeah. they taste like a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie!! and maybe that's all they basically are. but with the almonds and wheat germ they have real sustenance. yum yum yum! thanks vikki!!
where do i get wheat germ?
i saw it at walmart in a jar... very expensive! they have it at sprouts. it is in the bulk bin section but NOT in a bin. they have them pre-bagged and hanging on hooks. it is sold per pound. i got quite a big bag for $1.89! it looks like brown fish food. :)
do you think i could use just ALL quick oats? does it really make that much of a difference. i like to keep my real oats sealed because i never use them...
I don't think it will matter whether they are quick or the old fashioned oats.
Okay, here's what I've been adding(for me to remember next time):
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. rice krispies
1/2 c. coconut
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips
Last time they were way too dry. So this time I added 1 cup of honey and 1 cup butter. So maybe I went a little overboard, but they are definitely holding together this time! Lol.
Becca Current Notes:
4 1/2 c quick oats
1 c flour
1 t baking soda
1 t vanilla
3/4 c softened butter
3/4 c honey
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. coconut
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips
sprinkle of chia seeds
325 for 18 min
cool 8 minutes
carefully slice
Replace wax paper on top and press down again all over
Allow to cool 1/2 hour
I FINALLY made my first batch - 15 years later..... I added sunflower seeds, a few pecans, the coconut and mini chips. I mixed the honey with the really soft butter and whipped it by hand and it was so easy to incorporate that way and not messy. I definitely would add salt to the recipe and mix it with the honey butter.
Post a Comment