RECENT RECIPE ADDITIONS:

Broccoli Bacon Salad


(courtesy of: Savory Sweet Life)
Serves 8-10
SALAD:
2 heads fresh broccoli, washed and cut into bite-size flowerets
½ cup chopped red onion
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup slivered almonds
½ cup roasted sunflower seeds
½ – 1 cup crumbled bacon (approx. 6 to 8 slices for 1/2 cup and 12-16 slices for 1 cup)
DRESSING:
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons white vinegar
⅓ cup sugar
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Add broccoli, red onions, cranberries, almonds and sunflower seeds to a large bowl. Next, make the dressing by mixing mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour dressing over the broccoli salad and mix thoroughly. Transfer salad to a large plate or serving bowl. Finish the salad off by garnishing with the crumbled bacon. If you prefer a bacon free version, omit bacon and garnish with ¼ of cranberries and ¼ of slivered almonds.

(Notes from Mom: I bought the bag of fresh florets at Sam's Club (it is 3# bag) and I used 1/2 bag .... so 1 1/2 lbs for one recipe. It is impossible to know how many flowers are in 2 bunches of broccoli, ya know? But doing that the dressing was almost not quite enough... a little dry... so you might make a little more of that. I also bought the bag of crumbled bacon at Sam's Club... I think I found it on the aisle with salad dressing... not sure. But it keeps in the fridge forever and you don't have to cook bacon every time you want some. Same with the cranberries... got the big bag of Craisins.)

No comments: