RECENT RECIPE ADDITIONS:

Chicken Enchiladas

Recipe I got from Jenny...  I like it better than mom's because it's moister.

2 cups chopped cooked chicken (or 1 pint canned chicken)
1 cup sour cream
1 can green chilies
1 cup chopped onions
2 Tbs butter (for sauteing onions)
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups Monterey Jack cheese
10 flour tortillas (Becca:  I can only make these using Tortillaland Uncooked tortillas!!  Of course, I cook them first.)
1 can mild enchilada sauce (I buy Los Palmas)
green onions to garnish
3 tsp red pepper flakes (This is a Rebecca ingredient.  We like it spicy!)

Combine chicken, sour cream, and green chilies.  Set aside.  Saute onions and add.  Add salt and half of cheese.  Dip tortillas in enchilada sauce to soften and spoon about 1/2 cup of chicken into each tortilla.  Roll up and place close together in 2 greased 9x13 pans (5 enchiladas per pan).  Cover with remaining cheese.  Bake uncovered 350 for 20-30 minutes.  Garnish with green onions.

*Becca's notes:  I made this recipe a lot more compact and less gooey.  I use only one 9x13 pan and used about 10-14 taco sized tortillas (placed in the pan vertically). I used much less filling per enchilada.  I also thought it was fine without the onions. Both the sauted ones and the garnish. (I threw a bit of onion powder in for good measure).  We love these enchiladas!

1 comment:

Donna said...

*Mom's notes: I use 6 flour tortillas in a 9x 13 pan. I use a generous 1/2 cup filling in each. I only use 3 cups of cheese, 2 in the filling and 1 on top. I use 1/3 can of the enchilada sauce, freeze the rest in baggies, and pour the remainder (after moistening tortillas) in the bottom of the pan and then on top before the cheese. This makes 3 meals for us.