I have always wanted to try cooking brown rice. I have only tasted it in restaurants a couple of times and I love it! I don't know why people act like its gross. But I did hear that its difficult to cook and time consuming, which is why I love google. This is the method I found! I'm so excited. I also found an Alton Brown method that uses the oven. I thought it was worth posting in case your main dish is in the oven anyway... no reason to use a pot on the stove if the oven is already hot AND no reason to heat up the oven if you're cooking dinner on the stove. So here they are.
Stove Method (original link from "Pinch My Salt")
brown rice (whichever type you prefer)
water – use at least four cups of water for every one cup of rice
salt – to taste
Rinse rice in a strainer under cold running water for 30 seconds, swirling the rice around with your hand. Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. When water boils, add the rice, stir it once. Turn heat to medium and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 30 minutes, pour the rice into a strainer over the sink. Let the rice drain for 10 seconds, then return it to the pot, off the heat. Immediately cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and set it aside to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes (if your pot lid isn’t extremely tight, place a piece of aluminum foil over pot then place the lid on top of foil for a tighter seal). After ten minutes, uncover rice, fluff with a fork, and season with salt to taste.
Oven Method (original link from Alton Brown)
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
2 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.
Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.
After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.
RECENT RECIPE ADDITIONS:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
so the stove method worked SO good. i'm so happy. it was easy! but... the brown rice i have had at restaurants is apparently more of a short grain. i got long grain. luckily i bought a little bag. next time i'm going to try a short grain... like basmati. and i think i'll be happier. yay for healthier rice!
oh, and i threw in 2 tsp of chicken bullion into the water for flavor then didn't add any salt. or maybe a little bit.
Post a Comment