RECENT RECIPE ADDITIONS:

French Bread















(not my picture)

Brittney Basaraba made this for mom when she was sick. So mom got the recipe from her.  And it is SO yummy.

2 Tbs instant yeast
2 1/2 c. Hot water
3 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/3 c. vegetable oil
6 c. flour

Mix water with sugar, salt & oil.  Add 3 cups flour with the yeast, and then add 3 more cups of flour. Stir well with dough hook.  Cover and time for 1 hour. Every 10 minutes during that hour stir.  (I just have it in my kitchen aid and once that 10 minute timer goes off I just turn the mixer on for a few seconds and then restart the timer for another 10 min).

Then put the dough onto counter and divide into 2 pieces. I just mush it into a rectangle shape and form into loaf. Put bread loaf onto a greased cookie sheet and cut slits on top and brush on beaten egg white.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 min.

3 comments:

Donna said...

I forgot to edit this before I sent it... because we now use instant yeast... you can make this recipe simpler. Add the 1/2 cup water to the 2 cups hot water. Add the yeast when you add the flour. So it is just one mix step, not 2

Rebecca Brady said...

I went ahead and just edited it on the recipe.

Do the egg whites make that much a difference? I didn't want to waste an egg...

Donna said...

I made this today for my treat for my Home Storage meeting tonight at my house and the loaves turned out prettier than ever! I love brushing it with egg white. After I was done I poured what was left of the beaten egg white back with the yolk and will use it tonight with scrambled eggs. I am going to serve it with Nutella and use it as an example of desserts to have for 3 mos supply or even year's supply... we can always stock up on Nutella!