Recipe no. 42 from "Rachel Ray 365: No repeats" - a 30-minute meal
comments by carrie
2 to 2 1/4 pounds small red-skinned potatoes
coarse salt
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breast halves (if you use tenders, cut the chicken cooking time down a lot)
coarse black pepper
2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, from 4 sprigs, leaves stripped and chopped (or 2 tsp dried thyme) (or just sprinkle some on top)
3 tablespoons honey (eyeball it) (I go heavy on this)
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (I go shy on this - its powerful)
2 cups chicken stock or broth (or 2 cups water + 2 tsp chicken bouillon)
1/2 cup half-and-half or cream (eyeball it)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
(If I have fresh potatoes, I follow this recipe, otherwise I use canned potatoes. The instructions below are in the correct order to be able to complete the meal in 30 minutes, although it takes me about 40 since I'm a slow chopper.)
Cut the potatoes in half and place in a pot, then cover with water. Cover the pot with a lid and bring the water to a boil. Salt the water and potatoes. Leave the lid off the pot and cook at a rolling boil until tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the EVOO (twice around the pan). Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the hot skillet. Brown the chicken on both sides, 3 minutes per side. remove and reserve the meat, covered with foil. Add another tablespoon of the EVOO, the onions, thyme, garlic, and honey - 3 good drizzles. Season the onions with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently for 7 to 8 minutes. You want the onions to get really brown and caramelized. Add 1/2 cup of the cider vinegar and the stock. Turn up the heat to high and bring the liquids up to a simmer. Once at a simmer, return the chicken to the skillet. Cook the chicken in the sauce for about 10 minutes, flipping the chicken over halway through the cooking time. While the chicken is cooking, prepare salad (or other vegetable) and finish the smashed potatoes:
Drain the potatoes and return to the hot pot. Add the half-and-half and the butter to the potatoes and smash with a fork or potato masher to the desired consistency. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Reserve the potatoes on the cook top, covered to keep warm.
Arrange the chicken breasts on dinner or serving plates. Pour a generous amount of sauce with the onions over the chicken breasts. (You will really enjoy dipping a little of those smashed potatoes in the sauce!)
RECENT RECIPE ADDITIONS:
7 comments:
Well I finally fixed this one again and did it correctly and we really liked it. I think next time though I will cut back on the vinegar a little bit... it was a bit too sharp for us. But it was yummy and we liked the sauce on the potatoes like a gravy.
i can't remember how you made it "wrong" the last time. did you do the whole 1/2 c. of vinegar?
I don't know about the last time... maybe that was it... and I missed your note about going easy on the vinegar... that probably was it.. i will remember next time, maybe use 1/4 cup.
i made this again too. AND i made the smashed potatoes this time. sorry, carrie, but i wasn't a fan... i loved the potatoes, of course, but the chicken just isn't my favorite. i think mike liked it though. but we don't eat the onions! so its just a big waste...
yeah, the onions are definitely the best part! or almost so. but if you're not a sauteed onion fan, its not going to work for ya. like dave gets the in 'n out burger "animal style" where they top it with sauteed onion. yum.
did you do tenders again and not overcook them?
yeah i used breasts this time. they were actually too thick and i had trouble getting them cooked all the way through. i really hate stove top chicken :/ anyway... i think maybe if there was a way to get the same flavor without all those onions, i'd be a fan. the sweetness really is a good flavor.
The blog saved me again! I made this a half recipe this time and used only 1 Tbsp of vinegar. I liked it much better. Dad ate it but still thought it was a little weird. He just isn't used to the spice, Thyme. I like how moist the chicken is... and I grilled my chicken in my George Foreman and then added it to the broth. I also just made traditional mashed potatoes.
Post a Comment