
2 c. Kelloggs' All-Bran Bran Buds (or Post 100% Bran)
2 c. hot water
(combine and set aside)
1 c. melted margarine
3 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 qt. buttermilk (or one of the substitutions below)
5 c. flour
5 t. soda
2 t. salt
4 c. Bran Flakes (generic brand)
Cream margarine and sugar. Mix in eggs. Add the buttermilk. Scrape the sides at this point and mix again before adding the bran mixture. Add dry ingredients. Add bran flakes last. Bake muffins at 425* for 15-20" until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This muffin batter will last 6 weeks in the refrigerator. It is best made the night before since the bran flakes are still crunchy immediately after mixing the batter. This recipe is very easy to cut in half or even fourths if you don't have room to store the entire batch in your fridge.
Buttermilk substitutions:
4 Tb lemon juice & milk to make 4 cups
4 Tb white vinegar & milk to make 4 cups
4 c. plain yogurt
7 comments:
in looking for a picture to "borrow" for this post, i found the exact recipe... except! they used Kelloggs' All-Bran ORIGINAL cereal in place of the flakes (i have used that cereal in place of the buds before! they are little stick looking things.) so i might try that next time. apparently the flakes have a lot of added sugar and stuff so if you use the all bran you'll get more bran? they recommended using the Post 100% Bran for the hot water step, but I prefer the Kelloggs' buds myself. hope that's not too confusing!
what is SO funny about that is.... in the family cook book this recipe appears several different times and they are all combinations of the flakes/buds/allbran, etc etc... IT was so confusing... so I finally stuck with the one I use... it was from Joann Bradshaw and I trusted her the most. I guess it just doesn't matter! Flakes or buds... except for the sugar issue probably has the same result.
it IS confusing. i just went to the store today and bought a box of kellogg's all-bran ORIGINAL and a box of generic bran flakes. so i don't even know what i got. i guess i'll use the "stick" things for the buds like you said you've done before. i don't think i saw anything that SAID buds, but maybe i wan't looking hard enough.
I am sorry I wasn't paying close enough attention when you got those things today... but I knew they would work... there are so many varieties now and I don't even know that the names they go by even correspond correctly with the original recipe. It is so weird. Those sound SO yummy to me right now... I could eat them right? They would just melt in my mouth.
these take like 10-11 minutes for me to bake. and i do 3-4 in the morning for myself. i don't know if i'm doing them smaller? or what. but it's a lot shorter time to bake for me...
Mine have been taking 15" exactly. I bet yours are smaller. You can fill the cups almost full. And then two usually fills me up. Sidenote I forgot in the recipe, these can be done in the microwave in silicone cups or a microwave muffin pan. You have to fill them much less though- about half full. 20-30 sec per muffin. Just until the tops lose their shininess.
18oz box of bran flakes is approx 10 cups so it makes 2 batches
22oz box of kellogg's all bran is a little more than 6 cups so it makes 3 batches
Post a Comment